Episode 646: Richard Corsi PhD, PE - COVID accelerated IAQ Research to Practice: What have we learned?

Where the IAQ Radio Discussion Continues
admin
Site Admin

Episode 646: Richard Corsi PhD, PE - COVID accelerated IAQ Research to Practice: What have we learned?

Post by admin »

Show Resources: Show Discussion:
12:02:08 From Terry Sopher : Gratitude to you Joe, Cliff, Dr Corsi for today
12:03:51 From Radio Joe : Get that prize nice
12:05:03 From cliff zlotnik : Trivia: Name the most in demand course at UC Davis, taught in the chemical engineering department and attracting 2,000 students per year?
12:08:06 From Doug’s iPad : The design of coffe
12:08:42 From Doug’s iPad : Coffee
12:08:46 From cliff zlotnik : correct doug, please send your contact info tp czlotnik@cs.com
12:17:48 From Terry Sopher : re C19 transmission via airborne as a major pathway: & yet WHO & CDC still downplay airborne transmission & persist in emphasizing ‘droplets’ & close contact
12:30:25 From Michael Findley : What website name for tool?
12:31:04 From Michael Findley : Thanks
12:31:05 From cliff zlotnik : safeairspaces.com
12:31:10 From Neil Zimmerman : safeairspaces.com
12:31:29 From cliff zlotnik : safeairspaces.com is the correct site
12:36:01 From JOHN ANDERSON, Newport Oregon USA : Could you explain the shroud on the C-R Cube please. I want to add one to mine. does it cut down on the flow?
12:36:34 From Terry Sopher : but the DIY MErv 13 increased CADR still does NOT capture the smallest particles—it just recirculates them back thru the MERV13—right? or am I being stupid here?
12:37:22 From Neil Zimmerman : Yes, that's my concern - while you are removing 50% or so of the smallest particles, you are also effectively mixing the other 50% into the room
12:37:53 From JOHN ANDERSON, Newport Oregon USA : Would like to donate some at a time. Get more $, donate more. Trouble is finding/selecting ppl. Could you give me a thought? I did take with a doctor. Thank you very much.
12:37:56 From Terry Sopher : Dr Corsi have u run tests on the Corsi-Cube with a MERV 15 to compare the CADR & filtration effectiveness for the <1 micron particles?
12:40:45 From Terry Sopher : When ASHRAE put out C19 guidelines, their MErV 13 quickly became the GOAL of many—not the minimum. Then Corsi-Cube DIY also promoted MERV13. Result: excess demand on MERV13 = out of stock & manufacturers unable keep up. meanwhile, MERV 14-15s were available and not much more expensive than MERV13, but significant more effective re C19 particles
12:49:15 From Terry Sopher : re ventilation: “clean” outdoor air is often a rarity in many urban & even rural areas now. So DIY fan filters need to consider at LEAST an activated carbon impregnated MERV filter. Better than nothing, but no where as good as HEPA given that climate fire “smoke” & other outdoor contaminants contain <micron particles
12:51:56 From Donald Weekes : Rich, Glenn Morrison and I were co-chairs of IA 2011. The theme was 'Research to Practice'. It attracted a group of practitioners that saw the value of research in their practice.
12:52:59 From Evelyn : Sharing my thoughts re HVAC systems (neg pressure installations): I don’t understand the rationale behind HEPA filters on the return side (vs supply side). Keeping the coils clean is one thing, but I have yet to find an HVAC system that is clean. Quite the opposite: Air being pulled from a breeding ground for microbial growth—that is the condensate drain line—seems to play a role in this contamination along with unfiltered return air entering from leaks. So you can have the best filter, but if the coils etc are soiled, that is what is being distributed on the supply side. Also, the greater the HEPA #, the greater the pull from the condensate drain line … which will increase contaminants at the supply side. All of the condensate drains and drain pans I have inspected are pretty disgusting. Thanks so much for your time and consideration.
12:53:09 From Jonathan Faith to Radio Joe(Direct Message) : like eddies in water I guess
12:56:46 From Neil Zimmerman : that applies for purging but not if infected people are still in the room
12:57:51 From Tom Flood : Likely every household should be encouraged to build these and have them in their homes (not in a community)
12:57:53 From JOHN ANDERSON, Newport Oregon USA : Great as I went there
12:58:20 From Tom Flood : Social media from IAQA and IIRCRC and Health departments
13:00:11 From Tom Flood : Need 100,000 of these build at home Air Scrubbers in every market — break down per market
13:01:59 From Linda Wigington : Do you know of folks testing particle reduction with the cube? We have tested 3 or 4 and expected to see better reductions - Did particle monitoring with a Dylos 1700 - looking at 0.5 um over a period of several weeks. Had good results with a single 4" MERV 13 fan/filter, so we expected better with the cube.
13:02:24 From SUSAN VALENTI : Industrial engineers!
13:04:44 From Mike : People need to see the truth and be smart
13:07:04 From Victor Cafaro : Happy Thanksgiving to all.
13:07:26 From Terry Sopher : Happy holidays all.
CliffZ

Re: Episode 646: Richard Corsi PhD, PE - COVID accelerated IAQ Research to Practice: What have we learned?

Post by CliffZ »

I am a huge fan of common sense practical application like the Corsi Rosenthal box.

For wildfire applications, incorporation of bulk activated carbon pellets into the Corsi Rosenthal box would adsorb fire related odors. Of course, incorporating the activated carbon pellets into the original design would need to be done in a manner that least adversely effects airflow. Or alternatively, designing/constructing either a new dual purpose device (filtration and odor adsorption) or a separate odor adsorption device for use in wildfires.

My experience has been that pounds of activated carbon are needed to be effective in odor removal, and that carbon impregnated filter material do not contain sufficient carbon to be effective.

What say you?

Z-Man